Monday, May 23, 2011

iron deficient...

This is the news I got today from my oncologist.

Doesn't seem like a big deal, at least not after being diagnosed with cancer. I'm pretty sure nothing will compare to THAT big deal! So, I found out today my iron is low and I am considered iron deficient. Again...not a big deal,... unless you are scheduled for surgery in two weeks. I definitely want my body, especially my blood counts ready. I don't want to show up for surgery and have to be rescheduled. THAT WOULD SUCK. As much as I don't want to go through with it, I definitely want it done and behind me! Why can't it be June 9th already?

So... a little lesson on IRON today!

What does iron do for the body?

Iron is an essential component in the proteins that carry oxygen through the body. An iron deficiency can reduce oxygen delivery to the cells, leaving a person fatigued and with a compromised immune system.MY IRON COUNTS:
iron saturation: normal is: 20-55 Mine was a whopping 10.2
iron: normal is: 50-170 mine was a whopping 23
transferRin receptor: normal is: 12-22 mine was 48.2
Transferrins are iron-binding blood plasma glycoproteins that control the level of free iron in biological fluids

Transferrin receptor (TfR) is a carrier protein for transferrin. It is needed for the import of iron into the cell and is regulated in response to intracellular iron concentration


What does this mean for Jen??? Well, I've been prescribed ferrous gluconate (a fancy word for IRON!). IRON 325mg twice a day!

Not a big deal...right!?!?!?!???? Not too bad you say! UNLESS you have a COLOSTOMY!

IRON = CONSTIPATION

COLOSTOMY + CONSTIPATION = SOMETHING I DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH!

HURRY UP JUNE 8TH!

TODAY WAS A GREAT DAY!!! TOMORROW WILL BE BETTER. (I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE)

~THINKING TONIGHT ABOUT THE PEOPLE OF JOPLIN, MO. PRAYING FOR THEM!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to be serious for a moment...seriously! :) That's so frustrating about your labs, dang! But if anybody can get themselves in fighting shape for surgery, it's YOU!!

    Don't worry about work; focus on you, your family, and getting yourself well. You know I've got Beth's back if she needs it. But, I'm not worried about her, she knows what's up. :)

    You're almost there! It's almost over! Maybe I'll even find you a pair of personalized hoop earrings that say "HENNY"...well, okay, maybe "JENNIFER." Hahahaha! Obviously, my serious streak is over. What can I say, it's a sickness. HAHA! We love ya!

    ReplyDelete