Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Here I go again on my own....

That is right...yesterday I went to the cancer center for the first time by myself to get my first (again) round of chemo. I guess I could say it is my 5th chemo treatment...but who's counting right??? All I know, is that when this one is disconnected on Thursday I have 7 more to go! Yes... I AM COUNTING! It was very lonely sitting there...I got there at 9:15 am and didn't leave till 2:45 pm. What a long day. I was blessed to get a visit from my dear friend Kim who spent time with me talking and bringing me lunch! I also got a visit later in the afternoon from her husband Jon...aka my life saver!!! I love them both!
I have been so blessed since I moved here 7 years ago with the most amazing group of friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. I have met so many wonderful people and hate to leave. In fact... some of my favorite people have put together a benefit for me...here is the information from the flier if anyone is interested:

Benefit For:
Jen Koppen, HSA

Where: Vienna-Bassett Eagles in Vienna, Mo
From Jefferson City take US-50 E/US-63 S towards Linn. Merge onto US-63 S via the ramp to Rolla. Continue On US-63 through Westphalia and Freeburg. Turn Right on Hwy 42 in Vienna. Turn Left onto Hwy V. Vienna-Bassett Eagles will be on the Left.
When: Saturday, August 6th, 2011
Time: 5:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Jen Koppen, HSA at Algoa Correctional Center, was recently diagnosed with Colon Cancer. Jen and her husband Andrew are the proud parents of a beautiful 2 year old daughter named Charly. Due to Jen’s Chemotherapy treatments she is unable to continue full time employment.
Please come out and enjoy a good meal, a good time, and to support a good cause. Various items will be auctioned off throughout the evening and a percentage of all meals sold will be going towards Jen’s Fight. We will also be selling 50/50 tickets. To purchase these please contact Cassandra Bullock or Nicole Massman at (573) 751-3911 ext. 636 or 633. If you are unable to attend and would like to make a donation please send donations to:
Hawthorne Bank
800 Eastland Dr.
Jefferson City, Mo 65101
Attn: Jen Koppen Benefit Account
Thank You in advance for all of your contributions and support.


Although that is a chemo week for me... I am bound and determined to at least stop by for awhile! I would love to see everyone there and of course I will bring my beautiful 2 year old daughter Charly! I have to show her off whenever I get the chance!

So chemo day number 1 was good...now I'm on to chemo day number 2...already taken my zofran (for nauseau) and my steroids (for causing me to get fat)....the steroids were added to my chemo treatment and hope to help with the side effects, since I tend to get EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! Also my chemo regimne is a decreased dose, so hopefully that helps.

I looked at my calendar today (yes I am a planner) and saw that yesterday would have been my 12th chemo treatment, indicating the full 6 months would have been completed this week (minus my second surgery)...so I would have been DONE this week! The only thing that came to mind, was DAMN! That cancer just kicked me in the gut...but that is ok... I'm fighting back...I'm stronger than that! Plus... I needed a reason to go to Texas and enjoy the beach!!!! November can't come soon enough!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jen. :) Glad to get your texts, sorry I'm slow to respond, been busy lately it seems! Sounds like things are falling into place for you and your family. I'm happy for you! I certainly hope this is the last leg of your journey. What a trooper!

    Thanks for the congrats on the new job. Things work out for a reason it seems. :)

    I hope to see you at the benefit. Myself and my husband will both be there!

    ReplyDelete