Wednesday, February 23, 2011

the bag...

I'm not going to post pictures of it, but I am going to talk about it.

Since the moment I woke up from surgery, I have had a bag attached to me. Yeah, I know...nasty. What can I say??? I begged the doctor not to give me one. He didn't listen. He also didn't warn me about what I would truely be getting.

I am a nurse by profession. I have taken care of ostomy patients. I never dreamed I would have one. I never imagined how upsetting getting one truely was. Like I have mentioned before... I am different because of this journey. I hurt for people that have ostomies. They SUCK! (I almost wrote they STINK... but you would have laughed)

It took me having a miscarriage to truely hurt for those that miscarry, and it took me getting an ostomy to truely hurt for those that have them. Yes, I know... I have to learn everything the hard way. These life lessons...wow they are hard!

I decided to write about my colostomy today because I came home with such a sense of relief today. I made it through an entire 8 hour class without my colostomy making noise. Laugh if you want. This dang thing has a mind of its own. It loves to make noises and function when it shouldn't.

I am lucky enough that my colostomy is temporary. I mean, I would be devastated if I had a poop bag stuck to me for the rest of my life. I have had this thing for over 4 weeks now, and I still hate it. I hate it just as much as I did the day I got it.

My surgeon told me I would be getting rid of this poop bag in 8-12 weeks. It looks like it will probably be more like 5 months. (sad face) I will have to do the 4 rounds of chemo (4 months), then take 1 month off the chemo before my surgery. This will allow for me to heal properly. I guess on a positive note... I have something to look forward to! :) Kind of a light at the end of the tunnel.

Well... here's to today...to not farting and inflating the bag!

Today was a good day...tomorrow will be even better.

4 comments:

  1. You make me smile Jen!!! Just think of the new ways you can relate to ostomy patients now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thought you would enjoy this one Cindy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have quite a flair for writing, dear. How awesome you are for letting the world into such a personal experience. I so enjoy reading your blog, though I do make sure I have a tissue near me when I read it. Love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping for you to have better days ahead!

    ReplyDelete